Director identification number
If you want to become a director or are already one, you need a director ID. When you need to apply depends on the date you become a director.
- If you became a director on or before 31 October 2021 you must apply for your director ID by 30 November 2022
- If you become a director between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022 you must apply for your director ID within 28 days of your appointment
- If you become a director after 4 April 2022 you must apply for your director ID before your appointment
CATSI Act directors
Directors under the Corporations (Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006
- If you became a director on or before 31 October 2022 you must apply for your director ID by 30 November 2023
- If you become a director after 31 October 2022 you must apply for your director ID before your appointment
Meeting your obligations
Your director ID obligations include:
- applying for a director ID within the relevant timeframe for your situation
- applying for a director ID when directed by the Registrar to do so
- not applying for more than one director ID (unless directed by the Registrar to do so)
- not misrepresenting your director ID to a Commonwealth body, company, registered Australian body or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
- not being involved in a breach of the above director ID obligations.
Apply for your director ID
If you can't apply by the date you need to, you can complete an Application of an extension of time to apply for a director ID (NAT75390).
If you don't meet your obligations:
- there may be civil or criminal penalties
- you may be issued with an infringement notice.
For more information visit ABRS: Director identification number